William Carter Mofitt, the sixth and eighth Master of Broad Ripple Lodge, was born August 16, 1867, one mile north of Nora, Indiana, where his entire life was spent. He died as a resuit of an automobile accident September 11, 1928 and was buried in the Union Chapel Cemetery. He was the youngest son of Charles Wilkinson and Jane Power Moffitt.
His education was secured at the grammar school and Union High School at Westfield, Indiana. He occasionally took a short course in agriculture at Purdue University. After completing High School, he taught for one year in the Hamilton County Schools.
He was married in the early winter of 1892 to Gertrude Rooker of Castleton, who died in the fall of 1909. To them, four children were born, namely, James T., Fredrick, George M., and Albert R. Fredrick died while an infant.
He was married to Lovey Barbour of Noblesville in the fall of 1912. To them a daughter was born, Helen Jane.
His entire life was spent in farming and he was never in public life other than through his Masonic affiliations. He was made a Mason at Carmel lodge and was its Worshipful Master for one year. He was also a charter member of the Broad Ripple Chapter No. 146 and served as its High Priest during the year 1918.
Brother Moffitt was also a Past Patron of Broad Ripple Chapter, O.E.S., and was a member of the Council, Scottish Rite, Knights Templar, and Mystic Shrine. It remains his distinction of being the only member of Broad Ripple Lodge who has served as Master for three terms (1908 and 1910-11).
Lodge Events of 1908
This year saw the Temple completed and, on January 30, the members assembled to confer the Master Mason Degree on Brothers, John W. Ferguson, Joseph H. Ferguson, and Joseph C. Stewart. This meeting marked the first in our present Home and it can be readily imagined that the membership enjoyed deeply what represented the fruits of earnest labor and the fulfillment of a long felt desire. The first banquet in the new Temple was held on February 21, marking the beginning of a long series of enjoyable and excellent “feeds”.
At the March Stated meeting, the By-Laws were amended to increase the fee for the degrees from twenty to twenty-five dollars. The following month, the Secretary was ordered to purchase two hundred muslin aprons bearing the name, number, and location of the Lodge.
On June 19, the Temple was dedicated with suitable ceremonies and, at the October Stated meeting, the Building Committee made its final report thereby culminating a service that will ever be remembered by the Lodge as one outstanding in the annals of its History and the high calibre of which will always stand as a memorial to those who wrought so faithfully and so well.
Ritualistic activity was intense during this period as twenty-two new members received the Sublime Degree many of whom has since passed into that reward prepared for the faithful.
In 1908 the following Brothers were raised as Master Masons;
|Joseph H. Ferguson||Wm. E. Rodocker||Joseph C. Stewart|
|Chas. Brammer||John W. Ferguson||George Jackman|
|Lora E. Tyner||Gilbert C. Zaring||John Chas. Osborn|
|M. Vern Lyst||Samuel G. King||Cornelius L. Garshwiler|
|Harry A. Byrkett||Jesse A. Hill||Samuel E. Smith|
|Galen J. Hesler||Wm. Hessong||Ernest C. Cline|
|Geo. E. Cruse||Ivan A. Hill||Alexander J. Scott|
|Earl B. Hill|
Brothers Clifford J. Shepherd and Walter S. Johnson were admitted by affiliation.