1906

FIFTH YEAR

ADMINISTRATION OF JOHN D. SULLIVAN

John D. Sullivan, the fourth Master of Broad Ripple Lodge was born at Ellecokville, the county seat of Cattaraugus county in the state of New York. His parents were L. W. and Margaret Fitzpatrick Sullivan, the date of birth being April 23, 1860.

His early years were spent at his home town, Ellecokville, where he received his common school education. At the age of sixteen years, however, he left his natal home to enter and work in a lumber camp. Here he remained for several years where he was engaged in cutting and preparing the timber for rafting. He also assisted in floating them down the river to the mills where they were processed into lumber. It was on one of these trips that he met with an accident that almost cost him his life and left him a cripple. In the year 1900, he was married to Maude E. Smith, but to them no children were born.

At the age of thirty-five years, John came to Indianapolis where he entered into the pleasure boat rental and transportation business on the west fork of White River at Broad Ripple. He retained his interests in this business until 1930 when he retired and with his wife moved to the state of Texas.

Brother Sullivan received the degrees of Masonry in Keystone Lodge No. 251 at Castleton, Indiana. He is also a member of Keystone Chapter No. 5, Royal Arch Masons, and of the Order of Odd Fellows. In the year 1902, he affiliated with Broad Ripple Lodge which had just been organized and was at the time still operating under dispensation, and, by virtue of this action, he became one of our charter members. He became interested in the development of Broad Ripple Lodge and was elected as its Worshipful Master for the year 1906.

Brother Sullivan answered the summons of the Supreme Grand Master on October 21, 1937. He was laid to rest with Masonic honors at Victoria, Texas, where he passed the last years of his well-spent life. The Lodge was indebted to Victoria Lodge No. 40 for conducting Masonic Services over the remains of our beloved Past Master.

Lodge Events of 1906

The Lodge, as evidence of its interest in the newly organized Chapter of the Eastern Star, officially granted it the privilege of using its Lodge room for the entire year.

At the August stated meeting, the Trustees reported the sale of fifteen acres comprising the north half of the Mustard bequest receiving therefor the sum of eight hundred dollars per acre. With this as a nucleus, the Lodge decided to start negotiations for a suitable building site for its future Home. Accordingly, a committee consisting of Brothers D. L. Dawson, B. F. Osborn, Edw. M.R. Howe, and M. B. Dawson was appointed to search for such a location.

While this committee was functioning, the Trustees reported the sale of the balance of their land assets to J. B. Morris for a consideration of eleven thousand eight hundred dollars. At the November stated meeting, the Lodge, following the recommendation of the Committee, ordered the purchase of the land adjoining that on which our Temple now stands.

Interest having been aroused in the new venture, the Lodge ordered the appointment of a Building Committee to formulate plans and carry thru to completion the erection of its new contemplated Temple. Accordingly, the following members were selected for this purpose, Wm. Mustard, B. F. Osborn, Wm. C. Moffitt, Morton Dawson, Geo. Armentrout, L. Lllewellyn and Dayton Dawson. Brother Emsley W. Johnson acted as attorney for the Lodge during all negotiations and Bro. Armentrout served as secretary to record the Committee’s activities.

The new members admitted in 1906 were:

By petition for degrees:

Otho B. Morris Edward N. Johnson Webster R. Wright
John O. Brenneman Ira M. C. Bales Albert B. Carter
Herman P. Doll James W. Jackson Frank L. Todd

By affiliation: Platt Whitehead

css.php